Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week 2

Observations
Compared to the initial set-up observations, my MicroAquarium has experienced a serious increase in organism populations. I expected to observe my usual annelids again, but instead I spotted seed shrimps, worms, insect larvae, and a variety of small active organisms in addition to the annelids. My first observation involved a clear larvae-like creature near a plant; I could even see its internal organs. I also spotted a significantly larger one at the lower part of the plant. This wormy organism darted through the water in an "S" fashion towards the soil. I researched to find out it was a roundworm (http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/). The creature was captured (miraculously I might add) in the photo below: 



In addition to this roundworm, I observed two largely-sized seed shrimps (Clifford). The most memorable seed shrimp was a LARGE clear jelly organism that was resting on the plant's broad leaves. I noted the visibility of its internal organs and also its leg-like filaments on the front. A picture of this specific seed shrimp is shown below. I also spotted at least one more large seed shrimp and 3-4 smaller ones which tended to reside on the edges of the aquarium.



These two organisms were the most prominent in my aquarium. But I also observed small gray organisms jumping on and off of the plants. These organisms were raindrop-shaped with legs, and repeatedly made erratic trails around my MicroAquarium. Also, there were 15-20 round creatures, too small to capture with the digital equipment. Some of these indistinct organisms actively dealt with the soil, others swam aimlessly around the aquarium or weaved through the soil. I did spot at least one inactive individual of this species. I only had one questionable observation regarding a red-orange pinched cylinder object at the bottom of the aquarium. It was stationary, but I couldn't really tell if if was ever living in the first place. It may be a man-made material that accidentally made its way into the habitat. 

At the end of my observation, I added more of plant B, Utricularia gibba L, upon a request by Mr. Ken McFarland. This addition leads me to also conclude that the majority of my organisms prefer Plant A, Fontinalis sp. Moss (http://botany1112010.blogspot.com/). I assume this is so due to its sturdier build and spacious leaves. But next week's observations may prove me wrong... 

Bibliography

Clifford, Hugh F. [Internet]. University of Alberta: Department of Biological Sciences; [cited 2010 Oct 23]. Available from <http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Aquatic_Invertebrates/index.php?Page=29>

Pond Life Identification Kit [Internet]. [updated 2000 Nov]. Microscopy-UK; [cited 2010 Oct 22]. Available from <http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/>




No comments:

Post a Comment